States With Reciprocal Teaching Certification

104 2


    • Nevada has signed the NASDTEC Interstate Agreement, allowing teachers with a valid teaching certificate to obtain a reciprocity license if they transfer from another state. Some state licenses, however, are not accepted by the Nevada Department of Education. Such states include Alaska, Delaware, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio, South Dakota and Wisconsin. All special education certifications are also denied for reciprocity. Applicants, not licensed by the excluded states, may apply for a reciprocal license by completing an Initial Licensure Application. Applicant teachers must have a full license from their previous state, and not a preliminary or conditional license. The state of Nevada will also require new teachers to have recent teaching experience. Verification of this information will be asked for on the application.


    • Texas will generally reciprocate almost any state teaching licenses, but state education requirements require out-of-state teachers have taken similar certification tests or those that are as rigorous as Texas exams. Individual considerations are made for each applicant, but past approved tests have included Praxis II, National Board of Professional Teaching Standard and Family and Consumer Science Exams. Approval of certain subject tests include those from Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, Massachusetts and Michigan. Teachers should still have their credentials reviewed by the State Board for Educator Certification (SBEC), regardless of past decisions. License review begins by completing the Texas Comparability Test Score/Passing Verification Form from the SBEC website.


    • The Louisiana Department of Education reciprocates out-of-state teaching licenses, if certain requirements are met. Generally, all teachers must take the PRAXIS/NTE exams, but out-of-state teachers may not need to if they have a minimum of four years of teaching experience, satisfactory evaluation results from such experience and one year of employment in Louisiana public school. Superintendents will ask teachers for full Louisiana certification after the first year of employment. Out-of-state teachers should complete an application packet from the Louisiana Department of Education and the required fee. In 2010, application fee was set to $50.


    • Individuals with a current full teaching license may obtain a three-year Idaho interim teaching certificate by submitting an application and passing a background check. The interim certification allows out-of-state teachers to work in Idaho, but they must still complete any missing tests or coursework required by the state. After you meet the requirements, teachers receive a five-year renewable Idaho teaching certificate. You can obtain license applications from the Idaho State Department of Education website. The application will require a $75 fee, $40 background check fee, notarized copy of valid out-of-state certificate and official transcripts, as of 2010.

Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.